Self Tanning Tips and Product Reviews

Hi Lovelies,

Hope you're well. 

Here is my first Blog Post.  

I'll be updating this Blog regularly in conjunction with my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/MissTango2


  

Today, it's going to be on "Sunless Tanning". I like to self tan regularly (not just in summer) as it gives me a nice glow all year round. Here are the pictures, my experience and my rating on each of the Sunless Tanning Products I've tested.

First I'll start with some Application Tips:
 1.  Exfoliate the night before and just before applying your self tan - I recommend using an oil-free, granule exfoliator. If you use a moisturizing body wash and exfoliating glove - it can create patchiness when you apply your self tan. 
2.  Before applying your self tan - apply a bit of moisturizer on your elbows, knees, feet and wrists and if you're going to tan your face, then just use a light moisturizer first.
3.  Use gloves when applying the product.
4.  If you get the product on your hands and you need to remove, just use toothpaste and wash your hands.
5.  Cover your carpet, clothes and furniture if you're using a spray tanning product to prevent any stains.

I have a few factors with choosing and liking self tanning products. My criteria is: 
1.  Ease of Application
2.  The developing time - in other words the time between application and having a shower (I like a minimal developing time)
3.  The initial smell (you can't prevent the 'after' smell too much unfortunately. All self tanning products have a slight smell the next day but it fades)
4.  The developed color (I like it to be as golden and as natural as possible and have found that tanning agents with a blue/green base are best - it combats the orange undertone)
5.  The lasting time (I like a minimum of 1 week)
6.  And obviously price (I don't want to spend too much on a self tanning product) 




Le Tan Bronzing Cream

Rating - ❤ ❤ (out of 5)
Average RRP $12

1.  Easy Application - it's a white cream that blends to clear. It is like just applying moisturizer. Make sure you wash your hands as you can't see where it has been applied. It does contain Parabens if that is something you look out for.
2.  You just need to let it dry and it will then start to develop - it should be fully developed in 4 hours.
3.  There is no significant initial smell.
4.  Color develops nicely but with an orange undertone.  
5.  It lasts on me about a week and then starts to fade - I actually found it really drying. You need to moisturize a lot  more compared with other tanners. 



 
Garnier Ambre Solaire Tanning Spray and Bronzer Wipes

Rating - ❤ ❤ (out of 5)
Average RRP $13 (spray) $5 (wipes)
1.  It is a clear spray - I still blend it after I spray, just to make sure there's no patches. The wipes are a very easy application but make sure to either still wear gloves or wash hands afterwards.  They both contain Parabens if that is something you look out for.
2.  They both dry pretty quickly and have a developing time of 3 hours.
3.  They have a mix of an apricot and chemically smell - not really a fan.
4.  Color develops nicely but with an orange undertone.  
5.  It lasts on me about a week and then starts to fade - I actually found these products drying as well. You need to moisturize a lot more compared with other tanners.





Sugar Baby Kitten Mittens Gradual Tanner
Rating - ❤ ❤ (out of 5)  
Average RRP $14
1. You use the gloves to apply - you then have to definitely wash your hands after application!!
2.  It dries very quickly and take 4 hours to develop.
3.  Oh I really didn't like this smell at all - very strong chemical smell.
4.  Color develops nicely but not as natural as other tanning products.
5.  It lasts on me about one week.




Face of Australia Tinted Tanning Spray
Rating - ❤ ❤  (out of 5)
Average RRP $10
1. Very easy application. It comes out tinted so you can make sure the application is even. I still blend it myself after it's applied. I use this to spray tan my friends too. 
2.  It dries fairly quickly but the developing time is 8 hours which isn't very desirable.
3.  I don't mind the initial smell - it's a fresh smell.
4.  Love the outcome color of this tanner!! It's got the blue/green color base so it develops to a very natural tan color.  Great quality for the price!!
5.  It lasts for about a week and a half on me which is great.





Face of Australia Tinted Tanning Gel
Rating - ❤ ❤ (out of 5)
Average RRP $8
1.  Easy Application - it's a tinted gel so you can see exactly where you're applying it.
2.  It's a sticky feel while it is developing which I'm not a fan of - it takes 3 hours to develop.
3.  There is no significant initial smell.
4.  This product has the blue/green color base as well so it develops nicely.
5.  It lasts on me for about one week.





 SunLabs Ultra Dark Tanning Lotion
Rating - ❤ ❤ ❤ (out of 5)
 Average RRP $28
1.  Easy Application - because it's a tinted lotion, it is easy to get an even, natural tan. I use gloves and it still blends nicely.  It doesn't contain Parabens if that is something you look out for.
2.  It dries quickly and doesn't feel sticky even though it's a tinted lotion. It develops in 3 hours which is good.
3.  It has a distinct smell but it's pleasant - sort of an aniseed smell.
4.  It has the blue/green color base so it develops to a very natural looking tan. It's not as dark as I thought it would be though. 
5.  It lasted only one week for me.







ModelCo Tan Airbrush in a Can

Rating - ❤ ❤ (out of 5)
Average RRP $30
1. Very easy application - comes out as a tinted spray and I blend it with gloves on to make sure it's even.  It doesn't contain Parabens if that is something you look out for.
2.  It dries very fast which is great and takes 4 hours to develop.
3.  It has a lovely cocoa butter smell - I like it.
4.  This color is gorgeous!! Very natural. It has the blue/green color base.
5.  It lasts on me about a week and a half and just fades rather than getting blotchy.




Chi Chi Solarium in a Can
Rating - ❤ ❤  ❤ ❤ (out of 5)
Average RRP $26
1. Easy Application - comes out as a tinted spray and I still blend it with gloves to make sure it's even.  It doesn't contain Parabens if that is something you look out for.
2.  Dries very quickly and the developing time is 4 hours.
3.  I love the smell!! It's a caramel fudge smell :o)
4.  It's got the blue/green color base as well and it develops to an extremely natural tan. 
5.  It lasts on me about a week and a half and just fades rather than getting blotchy.






Be Inspired,
MissTango2  
xoxo 

3 comments:

  1. i recently bought the model co and love it as well. but am on the search for a more browner tanner. might try the chi chi one next

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chicky! Yeah love the Modelco too but Chi Chi is just that bit better - especially colour wise. Let me know how you go :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only ever used commercial tanning beds, but your tips are very helpful! I may have to try some of these products.

    ReplyDelete